Bidvertiser

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Baked Stuffed Zucchini (Or Eggplant)

Once in a while I like to experiment with new ingredients, or at least items that I have never used before. The zucchini has always been an enigma to me, and I just figured it was a more expensive version of the eggplant. It sort of is, but I discovered that there are things that I can do with the zucchini that I couldn't do with a regular eggplant.

Veggies are so much better with meat, so I decided to cook a zucchini dish that had a meaty filling and cheesy toppings. It made a lot of sense to use the vegetable as a base and the meat as topping, and to bake it to perfection. 

Feel free to use eggplants if you have trouble finding zucchinis.


Here's what you need:

Base:

3 zucchinis (or eggplants), sliced in half

Filling:


1 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 kg ground beef (like Sirloin)
1 onion (small, diced)
garlic
black pepper
salt
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes (diced, seeds removed)
1/2 cup dill pickles (diced) (optional)

Sauce:

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup cheese 

Topping:

green onions (snipped with kitchen shears, for serving)
1/4 cup cheese




Here's what you need to do:

1. Using a spoon or knife, take out the seeds and middle part of the sliced zucchinis. The idea is to make a base that looks like a boat.

2. On a pan, saute your onions and garlic. Add the ground beef and cook for a few minutes. Add in the tomatoes and pickles (only if you like pickles).
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. On a sauce pan, prepare your roux by combining melted butter and flour. Add in milk, mustard and cheese.
5. Pour sauce on the meat mixture and cook for about 10 minutes.
6. Using a spoon or spatula, line up your zucchinis with the meat filling. Be sure to use a generous amount. Top with cheese and green onions.
7. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until done.

I got really good reviews from friends when I served this dish. It's also a great way to introduce veggies into the diet of your kids. I used to hate eggplants and zucchinis, but I would have loved them had I tasted a dish like this when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika